From: ge at egotistical.reprehensible.net (Gadi Evron)
Subject: Spam Solution

> SMTP AUTH cracking and using the ISP account? Not that it can't and won't be done, but
> I'm aware of no actual examples. Could you cite one please?

I was referring to using Trojaned machines and using the user's actual
email address. Much like you were, only I was talking of using Outlook.

> So if you have enough systems doing it you can send unauthenticated mail through servers
> that require authentication? Please explain this to me.

See above.

> No it doesn't. It's enough that MTAs can choose for a while to treat authenticated and
> unauthenticated mail differently. And before too long if the major ISPs and major
> corporations and government adopt the scheme (and there's an excellent chance they will)
> others will be forced to adopt it in order for their mail to get through reliably. Then
> one day admins can throw the switch and reject unauthenticated mail.

I hope you are right. I don't think you are, but I hope I am wrong.

I already went through this discussion on several mailing lists.. I
think I'll quit now while ahead. :)

	Gadi Evron.