From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: M$ Getting Better?

You realize of course this is silly? You start off with saying that the
majority needs to realize that they shouldn't be using MS because they are
bad and that they hold majority because they are criminals and do bad things
and that people should go buy something that isn't MS. Then you go on about
how ANYONE who holds majority is a bad thing.

Will you just continually run around complaining about whomever is on top?
Or is it simply that MS happens to be on top now and you aren't happy with
that? What is it that you really want, diversity of choices, no one to get
too far ahead of anyone else, or you don't want MS to be in the market at
all? You have the former in your hand already. The middle is very difficult
given normal markets unless there is complete and total and easy interaction
between the competitors with no clearly better product in any category
including price, security, and functionality. The latter seems to be closer
to the truth because you think they are bad though I wouldn't hold your
breath in your shoes as if it got very bad and MS was as evil as you say
they are, they could simply buy Red Hat and SUSE set the developers up
writing Mine Sweeper 2.

BTW, you can push for and support and say how good your favorite flavor of
OS is without tearing at other OSes or whining how bad they are. People
telling me I shouldn't buy MS software because they are criminals or that
they suck just makes me laugh. People telling me look at this really cool
feature here, makes me look. There are many folks out there pushing open
source solutions who never even say MS and do a good job of it because they
are clear headed, open minded, and pushing the good things about the stuff
they are pushing. They aren't sitting there going M$ sucks because you can
search on fines and see that they are criminals or that the entire Windows
line sucks and needs a redesign because I heard that on FD once and sounds
cool to say.

I disagree that you can't have security with a single majority used product.
It just takes work to lock the product down which is occurring. Having
multiple products is good for choice, so you can choose the correct tool for
the correct application. However, having multiple tools can also be
administratively intense and costly, especially when trying to integrate the
solutions for a strong woven overall solution. Having two many products or
vendors within a single company actually hurts security as it becomes too
much to maintain, manage as all Oses and products have to be patched at some
point. The centralized on a given product/vendor, the easier to do that
overall management. What I am saying is that running Windows, Linux
(multiple flavors at multiple revs with multiple custom mods), BSD (multiple
flavors at multiple revs with multiple custom mods), Unix (multiple
flavors), OS/400, VMS all together doesn't make a company safer, it makes
them more insecure or costly. They either have to hire more people who have
good knowledge of each of the platforms or they hire a few people who are
good at a couple of them and cover for the others. Ask anyone who has worked
in a sufficiently large company and they will tell you that large diversity
in platforms is a nightmare to deal with.