From: sixsigma98 at hotmail.com (Ray P)
Subject: PIX vs CheckPoint

You sure got a whole bunch of good opinions with such a short question. :-)

As always, the answer is that it depends on what you need to do. If you need
a basic firewall and you have no bucks, go PIX. If you need secure remote
access as well (built-in personal firewall, ability to deny access based on
the computer configuration, AD interoperability, etc.) go Check Point (or
buy additional Cisco products to gain the same capability). If you are
managing only one or two firewalls, go PIX. If you're handling dozens or
hundreds, go Check Point. If you don't care about application-layer attacks
against your infrastructure, go PIX. If you think attacks against the
applications are the coming thing, go Check Point.

There is no right or wrong answer. They both call themselves "firewalls" but
that's where the similarity ends. I suspect most people would find a mix of
both products would provide their operation with optimal protection.

And like all products, implementation and configuration errors can turn
either one into Swiss Cheese.

Ray