From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: Comparison of Network Security Scanners

On my *first* day at my current employer (a large network appliance
vendor), we had a situation similar to this. One of these "independent
evaluators" informed my employer that they were evaluating my employer's
product, and that my employer had 24 hours to respond to their evaluation
before they submitted their results.

Basically these people were contracted by one of my employer's competitors
to "evaluate" the competing products and publish the results. My employer's
investigation revealed that these people obtained their equipment (with
back level software) through a "gray market" vendor, and that their "tests"
included such things as not configuring the hardware prior to testing.

In summary, these "independent evaluators" appear to be nothing more than
paid agent provocateurs who publish "results" designed to promote one
specific product over the competition.

BTW, I am not implying that *all* such testing organs are of this caliber,
however caveat emptor.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                              E-mail: greg@...liss.com
Computer Security                             WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/