From: thor at pivx.com (Thor Larholm)
Subject: SUPER SPOOF  DELUXE Re: Microsoft and Security

> From: Pavel Kankovsky [mailto:peak@...o.troja.mff.cuni.cz]

> If a script from site A can replace the contents of a frame
> within a document from site B then site A is able to violate
> the *integrity* of B's contents. This is unacceptable.

A script from site A can only replace the contents of a window object
within a frame from site B if site B is specifically opened through
scripting from site A. Site A cannot interact with any window object
that it has not created itself, it has to open a new window, wait for it
to load and then load a new document in the frame inside this new
window. It doesn't even know if you already have an existing browser
window pointing at WindowsUpdate or your banking site because it didn't
open those windows.

You have to look at the prerequisite attack scenario. You are surfing to
some random site and out of nowhere it opens WellsFargo.com or
WindowsUpdate. At this point you are thinking one of 2 things, either

"What the.. I didn't go to WindowsUpdate/WellsFargo .. Let me just close
that window .. Damn popups"

or

"Hey how nice, WindowsUpdate/WellsFargo magically appeared in front of
me and I didn't even intend to go there .. I was just surfing for porn
.. Let me hurridly download some stuff from there and give it my account
details"

Thor