From: fulldisc at ultratux.org (Maarten)
Subject: Web sites compromised by IIS attack

On Friday 02 July 2004 23:33, Barry Fitzgerald wrote:
> Denis Dimick wrote:
> >>Per the Free Software model it does.  The key point here is that Red Hat
> >>is redistributing the code and making  a profit off of it.  It's Red
> >>Hat's choice regarding whether to redistribute said code.  Since they're
> >>making the money off of it, they have to support it.
> >
> >Sorry Barry but your wrong. If I burn a CD of a bunch of appliactions I
> >get off the net and sell it, then by what your saying I should be
> >supporting it? So then my ISP should support all the applications I get
> >off the net since they take my money and give me net access?
>
> No, I'm not wrong.
>
> The discussion is about who's responsible for support of said software.
> There's no obligation through the GNU GPL that support is required if
> money changes hands, however the point of the discussion is who's
> responsible for support of said software in a situation where the
> software produced is broken and supported.
>
> Red Hat sells support.  The act of taking binaries and actively and
> intentionally redistributing them is a support service.

Well that is open to debate.  If I just download Redhat, they make no money
off me.  Do they still have to fix my software then ? Are they responsible ?

I'll give you a couple of scenarios, you decide what you do in each case.

A guy walks in front of you. You see him throwing a sandwich in the bin. So
you take it out and eat it, and subsequentially you get food-poisoning. Will
you blame the guy ?  And if so, do you have any legal recourse to do so ?

Next, an unknown fellow hands you a sandwich saying he's not hungry anymore.
The same thing happens, you get sick off it.  Now do you blame / sue ?
(Let's assume he did not know the food had gone bad and acted in good faith)

Same scenario, but this time it is a friend who hands you the sandwich.
Do you sue him ?  Or do you perhaps sue the shop where he bought it ?
Can you even hold him responsible, seeing as he acted in good faith ?

Next scenario, someone sells you the sandwich, for 5 cents. You frown upon the
exceptionally low price but you thank him and eat it nevertheless. Yada yada.

Last scenario, which you already know, you buy the sandwich at a normal price.
Do you sue in this case ?

Note: I don't have all the answers to the above... just some food (pun not
intended) for thought...

Maarten