From: szalkai at 2fkft.com (Akos Szalkai)
Subject: Web sites compromised by IIS attack

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 06:09:05AM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu created magic using only numbers:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:08:27 CDT, Paul Schmehl <pauls@...allas.edu>  said:
>
> > I attended a presentation yesterday for a security product in the
> > application firewall field.  During the presentation, the CISSP stated that
> > "in every 1000 lines of code there will be 15 errors".
>
> Actually, I suspect most coders are *worse* than that.

You may be right, but your calculations are an order of magnitude off. :)

> Sendmail 8.13.0 weighs in at just about 90K lines of C code for
> the main program.  By that metric, there should only have been 135
> bugs in it. In fact, there are 441 occurrences of 'Problem noted by'
> in the release notes.

Maybe you were not really awake yet (look at the Date header!), but if
its 15 errors/KLOC, then 90K lines of code should have 90*15=1350 bugs,
not 9*15=135.

You made the same mistake with BIND.  I do not like those two pieces of
software, but this time you showed that the Sendmail/BIND people are
better than the average programmer.

Akos

--
Akos Szalkai <szalkai@...hu>