From: djcapelisp at yahoo.com (D.J. Capelis)
Subject: Gmail Information Disclosure Vulnerability

The notion that this list is only for reporting
bugs in software that isn't in beta is absurd.
If there's a major vulnerablity in gaim or
firefox I'd expect to hear about them on this
list.  (Both are in beta (firefox is alpha I
think they like to say these days?))  If there is
a large userbase using it that is vulnerable to a
security concern then it should be on this list.
That's what this list is about, making people
aware and sharing new security vulnerabilities.

So stop shouting that (s)he's losing
"credibility" in the "scene."  In my eyes he
gained a lot by actually classifying his neat
little hack by saying it's got a really low
severity.  (And by finding a small hole in gmail,
there's plenty of people looking and google has
some great coders.)  More "respected" security
firms should take a leaf from his/her book and
learn to mark severity of their discoveries
correctly.

(And really?  The security "scene?"  What is this
too you, a little social teaparty?)

~D.J. Capelis~
Security and Cryptography Researcher

--- System Outage <system_outage@...oo.com>