From: visitbipin at yahoo.com (bipin gautam)
Subject: Re: Norton AntiVirus Scanner Remote DoS [temp. FIX!] [Part: !!!]

--- Stuart Moore <smoore@...urityglobal.net> wrote:
> Bipin,
>
> Hi.  When I download
> http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/EXTRACTit1st.zip
> and then extract
> it to REVANGE_tmm.tar.bz2 and then run NAV on the
> bz2 file, Norton scans very quickly and
> does not find any viruses.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Is there really an
> EICAR string in REVANGE_tmm.tar.bz2?
>
> Stuart

EXTRACTit1st.zip wasn't ment for Notron
antivirus........

> There is an option to allow users to abort the scan.
> Is it set ?

(O;

I don't think NAV engineers are still able to spot the
problem;
Lets HELP THEM OUT!

The problem doesn't lie within the NAV virus scan
engine; instead the

problem lies within NAV file repair engine!

Well, within few seconds... after the AV scan have
started norton

quickly scan's the infected file and smartly* skips
the empty folder

within the zip archive!

But after norton detects virus in the archive it tries
to delete the

virus within the archive, and re-create the
un-infected/fresh

archive........ again!

The problem triggers when NAV tries to re-create the
50000 empty

folders and construct the archive.

*ANY* av scanners that autometically tries to delete
the infected file

and re-create the archive should be vulnerable to this
exploit!!!

Note: mark the fact... in the "AutoProtect Menu" of
the option tab in

Norton AV the option........

*autometically repair the infected file <--- is set by
default!

you could temporarily be immune by this bug by setting
the option,

*deny access to the infected file.

Did i just saved your MAIL SERVER???   (O;

The compressed archive mustn't necessarily be a zip
archive to trigger

this attack. You could experiment this with other
archive types......

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE EXPLOIT ON SOME OTHER AV
SCANNERS??????

These are time's when you want to download some other
AV scanners for a 30 days evaulation... There is a
high chance you may never switch back again!

bipin gautam
http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/