From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Microsoft Faces Angry IE Users' Questions

Florian Weimer <fw@...eb.enyo.de> wrote:

> Haha.  Apparently, Internet Explorer on Windows XP Service Pack 2 will
> break one of our internal web applications (which uses MIME content
> type, not extensions, to provide application information.
> Fortunately, we don't use Internet Explorer, but it's still quite a
> paradigm shift.  I wonder if they break down and release a "fix" in a
> week's time.

Historical precednet suggests that (perhaps largely undocumented)
regsitry settings will be available to (re-)enable the former, but now
deemed "broken", functionality.  You need look no further back than the
kerfuffle a couple of months ago over the removal of IE's patently
incorrect support for "user:pwd@" userid data in http URIs for an
example, but there are many other, earlier examples.

Of course, what such cop-out "revert to insecure functionality" options
tend to invite are unscrupulous third-party developers (if not also
Microsoft's own application developers) to add a "check for registry
setting X and tweak it appropriately" function to their installation
scripts.  That is a very cheap option for the developers and therefore
much more desirable to them than fixing what is more often than not
some inherently shoddy architectural issue (aka design flaw) in their
product or servcie that would require major re-working to fix.

Most users rather blindly trust their application developers' code and
don't check what security (or other) changes those developer's
installation routines make to their machines.  If such opt-out settings
are generally available for XP SP2 "fixes", once SP2 is rolled out
many, many users will silently and unknowingly have their overall
security lowered, and many vulnerabilities re-introduced to their
systems, by installing the "patches" offerred by their vendors "to fix
XP SP2 incompatibilities".

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald