From: John.Airey at rnib.org.uk (John.Airey@...b.org.uk)
Subject: Microsoft laxed security is threat to inter
	net

So you are asking that Microsoft can automatically break software on users
computers? Sounds like the cure is worse than the disease.

> FD or BUGTRAQ can't save us now. Only Microsoft can. Implement Auto
> updating software for security patches without delay.

There's only one saviour as far as I'm concerned, and it isn't Microsoft.

> I don't have much faith in Service Pack 2 (The overhaul of
> Mircosoft code).

Doesn't this contradict your earlier statement about letting Microsoft
auto-update? Unless you are doubting whether users will install it. For
users on modem links an automatic update to SP2 is out of the question.

> All of these Microsoft exploits will be the death of the internet one
> day, when script kiddies decide to execute the mother of all denial of
> service attacks against the internet. Trust me, bot net's big enough
> are paused and waiting for such a day.

Death of the Internet - Movie at 11.

We've already seen some massive attacks on the Internet (in fact 9/11 was
probably one of the biggest in terms of the backbone traffic generated) but
it's still up. Remember the original purpose was a network with no central
command (not even in Redmond, WA). It may not be perfect in that regard, but
it's still very robust. In fact, a backhoe can probably do more damage to
the Internet than Microsoft's software.

> Microsoft will have big legal costs if it can be proven a Microsoft
> flaw was the main vulnerability used.

Doubtful. They already disclaim responsibility for Windows anyway. Anyone
who trusts critical infrastructure to it needs to be sacked. How ironic it
is though that many cash machines in the UK are Windows terminals.

If it were so easy to fix these problems then most of us who are employed
and reading this list would be out of work. It isn't easy, and almost every
day is a game of techie russian-roulette which does wonders for my prayer
life.

--
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the

I don't know which is worse. The makers of soap operas thinking they portray
real life or those that watch them thinking it is real life!

--
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.

those of RNIB.