From: j.riden at massey.ac.nz (James Riden)
Subject: Erasing a hard disk easily

"Gregh" <chows@...mail.com.au> writes:

> [...]

See "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory"
at http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

If it's sensitive, it often gets physically destroyed. If it's not,
"wipe -k /dev/hda" will do, from a Knoppix prompt, with whatever
parameters you feel appropriate.

from 'man wipe':

"Recovery of supposedly erased data from magnetic media is easier than
what many people would like to believe. A technique called Magnetic
Force Microscopy (MFM) allows any moderately funded opponent to
recover the last two or three layers of data written to disk; wipe
repeadetly over- writes special patterns to the files to be destroyed,
using the fsync() call and/or the O_SYNC bit to force disk access. In
normal mode, 34 patterns are used (of which 8 are random). These
patterns were recommended in an article from Peter Gutmann [email
elided] entitled "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and
Solid-State Memory". A quick mode allows you to use only 4 passes with
random patterns, which is of course much less secure."

ISTR that 'moderately funded' is in the order of 10K USD, but
unfortunately I don't get to play with those kinds of toys.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden@...sey.ac.nz / Systems Security Engineer