From: peterharvey at emergency.qld.gov.au (Peter B. Harvey (Information Security))
Subject: Erasing a hard disk easily

Hi all,

As it was pointed out to myself there is still technologies which can bypass this. If you are workign with high sensitivity data then physical distruction is always the best course of action. Below is considered a basic sanitation to the media. Virtually impossible refers to the fact that most people don't have access to tunneling electron microscopy equipment to read the data.

If however you do require further sanitation you can obtain a Degauser (see DSD Authorised Products list for the Government recommended products for this purpose).

Regards
Peter