From: Glenn_Everhart at bankone.com (Glenn_Everhart@...kone.com)
Subject: Erasing a hard disk easily

Seems to me I recall there are some generic scsi commands to read
(try to read) or try to reformat bad sectors. However the point
below is still correct: the vendor might not have implemented
them correctly, if at all. If they work that just means some things
can be done that affect bad blocks without having to have vendor
specific command manuals.