From: marto at fightingillini.com (Martin Wasson)
Subject: SNMP Broadcasts

>>This is not, *technically* SNMP, as it is not using it's assigned ports.
>>This is a variant, and interestingly, that port is assigned to
>>
>>		 empire-empuma   1691/tcp    empire-empuma
>>		 empire-empuma   1691/udp    empire-empuma
>>
>>Unless Sysedge is the decendant of "empire-empuma", it doesn't belong
>>there either
>>Unfortunately, the odds of this kind of newbie being able to
>>successfully utilize it are slim.  Still, if he is going to ask for
>>help with odd packets, he must be able to document them, and this is
>>the standard way to do so.

Oh, I get it.  So if root executes "sshd -p 45522"  --this is not *technically* ssh, right?  Learn that at MCSE school?  ;o) Heh heh.  Just kidding.  But really, precisely what protocol does it become on port 45522?  What if the only "Listen" directive in my httpd.conf says: "Listen 45580"?  Is it *technically* not an http server?  And you're flaming newbies?  Come on, Alif.  Give the guy a break, will you?  He'll learn to ask the right questions, and give you what you need to help him.  Someday we're gonna need this guy to help the newbies that come after him.  Do we really want to teach him that the way to do that is through insults and abuse until the newbie asks the questions the way HE wants them asked?  You're a better man than that.  You've been around a long time, and it's easy to take ALL of that experience and knowledge for granted.  You know who that often sets up unreasonable expectations of the wide-eyed does just coming up.  When Mr.muthanna tried to help, and corrected you, he did it with class and a genuine interest in helping.  I applaud him for that.  Billybob is looking at his external interface and trying to figure out who's trying to get in, right?  So he's at least headed in the right direction.  Let's support that instead of stomping on him for being new.  The people to flame are the lazy, windows-licking dumbasses who aren't asking for help.

I hope all is well with you, and often wonder how you're doing.

Additionally, Sysedge is an SNMP Management Product marketed by (Concord)Empire Technologies, and it does belong on port 1691.

Best Regards,

Marto

"We believe that the biggest thieves in the world and the terrorists are the Americans ... We do not differentiate between those dressed in military uniforms and civilians; they are all targets in this Fatwa."
   --Osama Bin Laden (speaking to John Miller of ABC television.)

"A great people has been moved to defend a great nation. Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.  America was targeted for attack because we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining.  Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature. And we responded with the best of America? with the daring of our rescue workers, with the caring for strangers and neighbors who came to give blood and help in any way they could."
  --President George W. Bush

Which one scares you more?