From: prb at lava.net (Peter Besenbruch)
Subject: multiple web browsers, multiple bugs - onUnload
 and location.href

Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> ...Try http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~polzer/rbiclan/location
>
> The page is SUPPOSED to prevent going to somewhere else by changing
> the URL back in onUnload (even that is already a reason to disable
> JavaScript).
>
> The interesting part is: depending on browser, you see different bugs...
>
> Mozilla, Netscape 7 or Firefox: almost works correctly. Except for two
> small bugs: View source shows the source of Google or where you TRIED
> to go to, while you SEE the unload-trap page. The other bug: when you
> close the browser window, onUnload is executed TWICE (you see two
> alert boxes, with the number increasing) and the new page is loaded,
> but not displayed. But the view-source bug somehow looks suspicious.
> Do other parts of Mozilla think it was another website too?

I ran Firefox 0.8 for Linux on KDE, and enabled all Javascript
capabilities in my options for this test. I also run with the Tabbrowser
Extensions set to open all clicked links in a new tab. I ran into what
you described, with the exception that viewing the source of the
original page and the links worked fine. The other links also opened
properly in new tabs, with no alerts. One of the features of the
Tabbrowser Extension that I appreciate is the ability to surf with
Javascript disabled, but with the ability to activate it via a double
click for those Web sites that need it.