From: and-bugtraq at doxdesk.com (Andrew Clover)
Subject: Cool Web Search

Dave Horsfall <dave@...sfall.org> wrote:

> Not really "new", in the scheme of things.  Over 30 years ago, some bored
> prgrammer wrote something for one of the mainframes of the day (ICL?
> IBM? Burroughs?) called "Robin Hood and Friar Tuck".

Yeah, I was aware of this story; the Jargon File attributes it to Moto
staff working on Xerox CP-V. A few Win32 viruses copied the idea
(notably Gemini, see Virus Bulletin Sep02); this is what I meant by
parasite vendors stealing ideas from VXers.

The first parasite I saw using this trick was CommonName/Comwiz, but the
recent HuntBar/WinTools takes the biscuit by installing two processes,
one service and one BHO, all looking out for each other. Charming
behaviour for software purporting to be a search enhancer from a
'legitimate' company, eh?

I preferred viruses. You knew where you stood with viruses. They printed
a quote from a TV show and wiped your discs, you laughed at the funny
gag and reinstalled, everyone was happy. (Well, ish.)

Malware attaching its tentacles onto your machine to make a few dollars
from advertising and spam is just so much more offensively sleazy.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and@...desk.com