From: Ian.Latter at mq.edu.au (Ian Latter)
Subject: FW: Question for DNS pros

Glad you guys found it.

Gotta response from my friend, he doesn't recall all of the
detail (4-5years is a bit hard), but remembers that if you used a
certain DNS server ("digger" at the time)  that served the
Australian DSTO site, as your default W2K DNS host, he
believed that the act of 2K attempting to register itself in the
foreign DNS was what resulted in a probe of some description
(enough to agitate the buggery out of BlackIce Defender).

Don't ask me why he was using .gov/.mil DNS servers for his
stinky w2k boxen ... I was building ISPs at the time and thought
he was a bit broken.