From: j.hall at f5.com (John Hall)
Subject: FW: Question for DNS pros

Ron DuFresne wrote:

>Still following here...
>
>adding oneself to the list John mentioned might be the eaisier tack in
>this situation, and make it so one is not hit by new implimentations, as
>long as BIG-IP sites are not able to configure themselves out of the
>do-not-probe listing as well;
>
><John Hall>
>3-DNS does maintain a "do-not-probe" list to which you can be added, if
>the 3-DNS's probe traffic is too obnoxious for you.
></John Hall>

The do-not-probe list is maintained per site (or per group of associated
3-DNS's), not globally (although that's an interesting idea that I'll
forward to the developers).  The whole purpose for this probe traffic
is to improve service to the customers of a web site and probes are only
sent after a customer's local DNS server queries the 3-DNS.  If a customer
stops querying the 3-DNS, then after a while, the 3-DNS will stop probing
back.  We are doing everything we can to avoid generating much probe
traffic.  The per-site probes should never be more than a few packets
per hour in the default configurations and even a really aggressive
configuration should generate no more than 16-20 packets per hour per site.

>Though, I must admit, I'm none to fond of opt-outs rather than opt-ins.

I agree in most cases, although I do think that with the Internet you just
have to have somewhat thicker skin.  It's a tradeoff between getting good
response when you visit Yahoo, Google, CNN, your bank, etc. and only getting
the packets you approve of coming in your wire.  I admit that I'm *much*
more concerned with the 10000 attempts per day to deliver spam to my
personal ".net" domain (which only has 4 valid email destinations) than I
am with content delivery network probes that are only sent in response to
my browsing.  :)

--
John Hall              Test Manager - Switch Team             F5 Networks, Inc.