From: j.hall at f5.com (John Hall)
Subject: FW: Question for DNS pros

It is possible some of the traffic you are seeing is the result of a site
using our 3-DNS global load balancing product. A clear indicator that
3-DNS is responsible would be that the probes ID fields start at 1 and
increase by one for each packet in a set of probes. 3-DNS sends its probes
only in response to DNS queries and uses them to measure round trip time
and reachability from each data-center under 3-DNS's control to the client's
local DNS server. The data collected is used to direct other requests
using that local DNS server to the "best" data-center. You should
generally see
no more than 9 packets per hour per site using 3-DNS, although one of our
customers may have configured more aggressive probing (which we discourage).
3-DNS does maintain a "do-not-probe" list to which you can be added, if
the 3-DNS's probe traffic is too obnoxious for you.

A verbose tcpdump packet trace including ID numbers would be helpful to
identify this traffic.

Thanks,
JMH

--

John Hall              Test Manager - Switch Team             F5 Networks, Inc.