From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs PivX Solutions)
Subject: Re: Anyone know IBM's security address? + Google
 Hack

Aaron Gray wrote:
> It turns out I was going about the process of vulnerability notification
> all wrong. I should have gone to the United States Computer Emergency
> Readiness Team to report them.
> The US-CERT home page provides an email address cert@...t.org for

Aaron,

So you've found yet another zero-day vulnerability in a closed-source
software product. If you're not going to share it with the rest of us,
please consider keeping it to yourself.

Vulnerability notification is a very complex subject with no single
right or wrong answer. It is, as you say, a "process".

Full-Disclosure offers a venue whereby public, fair, fast (depending on
how close to the bottom of the subscriber list you are, perhaps
less-fast) and unmoderated public notification of vulnerabilities can
occur. The vendor in question is a member of the public and whether or
not they are CC'ed, public full disclosure of a new vulnerability will
reach them through this channel.

Considering that direct notification of vendors or those directly
affected by a vulnerability without the help of an attorney has, in the
past, caused severe legal problems and jail time for the vulnerability
researcher, it is a good idea to consider the alternatives before
rushing headlong into any single party's preferred vulnerability
disclosure "process".

You are posting to full-disclosure because you have considered the
potential value of immediate public disclosure, and you are right to
consider this option. Depending on the circumstances and the technical
nature of the problem it can be the best option. One virtue of
full-disclosure that is absent from each and every other vulnerability
disclosure process is that it allows members of the public who are at
risk to take immediate action to defend their vulnerable systems and
examine them forensically to look for evidence that the vulnerability
has previously been exploited by somebody who was aware of it while it
was still being kept secret. Full disclosure puts an end to the secrecy
and creates waves of incident response protective action, similar to
that which is supposed to occur every time a vendor releases a patch.

A primary difference between incident response when a patch is released
and incident response when public full disclosure is done is that the
patch creation process leaves a lengthy period of vulnerability "in
secret" or vulnerability "by rumor". Full public disclosure lets
everyone know at once that there is a vulnerability "in fact" and the
details of the vulnerability allow independent third party researchers
to analyze and discover the true scope and root cause of vulnerability.

Full disclosure also allows those who are at risk to determine the
extent of the risk given their unique circumstances, and avoids the
common problem where a vendor and the vulnerability researcher who
discovers a new vulnerability fail to take into consideration the unique
circumstances that exist in a particular deployment scenario where the
risk posed by the vulnerability in question is aggravated. The only
party who can make this determination of aggravating circumstance is the
party with intimate knowledge of their own operating environment. Full
disclosure gives those with intimate knowledge the ability to identify
aggravating circumstances that amplify their risk exposure, while patch
disclosure and security alerts that attempt to communicate the existence
of risk but fail to provide details leave everyone guessing.

Often times a vendor will misunderstand the vulnerability. Most vendors
misunderstood cross site scripting for many years, and didn't react
properly to its threat. Windows XP Service Pack 2 contains the first
truly significant resolution of certain XSS flaws in IE that I have seen
delivered by Microsoft, and the difficulty that the security research
community has had in communicating with the vendor about the XSS risk
must have contributed to the number of years that it took to arrive at a
more adequate technical resolution that *should* be capable of blocking
an entire class of attacks in advance. Scob and Download.Ject may
actually have helped clarify the true nature of the XSS risk ironically.

With a patch from a vendor to fix the symptom of vulnerability
demonstrated by a single vulnerability researcher such as yourself but
no opportunity for other researchers to peer review and conduct further
research based upon your own analysis and the analysis of the vendor,
both of which are usually filtered to remove any proof of concept or
detailed technical analysis of the flaw, nobody will know whether the
root cause of the vulnerability has in fact been discovered and
repaired. The public will know there is a patch, and will have to hope
that the vendor, third party security researchers, and organizations
such as CERT are correct in their assessment of the flaw and have chosen
the right words to communicate clearly its severity.

Incident response to the release of a security patch is thus inherently
flawed by its nature. Incident response to full disclosure of
vulnerability details and proof of concept code has been shown to be
free of flaws that impact clear understanding of security risk. The
resistance that many people have to full disclosure revolves around
their own business interests, which, as a security researcher, I have to
say are not compelling arguments in my view. The argument that it is
better to "tell the vendor" than to tell "the public" because there are
bad people with bad intent out there in "the public" is somewhat odd and
looks to me like artificial hysteria. The security researcher has no way
to know who is listening to, and spreading, the communication they are
having with "the vendor". We know that people talk to other people, and
that keeping secrets secret is quite difficult. Many closed source
vendors can't even manage to keep their source code secret.

Not telling the public results in the release of a vague danger alert
(patch + advisory) that calls attention to the area of danger, where bad
people know they can go to discover the technical details of the flaw
given enough effort. Binary analysis of the patched versus unpatched
code will show an attacker exactly what a proof of concept would have
shown the public, but now only bad people have full understanding of the
threat. This gives attackers an advantage over the public because the
public is always inadequately informed.

Vendors of closed source products can't advocate full disclosure,
legally, or they could be held liable for harm done by the disclosure.
The vendor cannot be held liable, today, for harm done by the existence
of a vulnerability, or for creating an unlevel playing field where
attackers always have the advantage over the public. But strangely they
could be held liable for encouraging the public disclosure of
vulnerability details if they simultaneously attempt to keep their
"source code" secret.

Opening all source code to public inspection would solve the legal
liability problem with respect to discussions and research around
vulnerabilities in that source code. Until source code publication is
mandatory for anyone who expects legal protection under copyright and
other intellectual property law, we will continue to see irrational
resistance to full disclosure. The security research community
understands that the full disclosure process is superior in many
respects, and could be made substantially better in every respect when
compared to any other process of vulnerability disclosure through
additional infrastructure and some sensible changes (or just
clarifications) to applicable laws, and that today it is up to the
individual researcher to decide how, and whether, to proceed with
notification and publication or to do as many researchers have concluded
they must do for the time being, just sit and watch and shake their head
in disbelief at the absurd comedy of errors that is modern day computer
security.

So you've found yet another zero-day vulnerability in a closed-source
software product. If you're not going to share it with the rest of us,
please consider keeping it to yourself.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org