From: chromazine at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: Clear text password exposure in Datakey's tokens
 and smartcards

Hey Grant et al;

Giggle, well I am glad to hear from someone who actually has to deal
with these things. I have seen a lot of things that people go running after
as the next big thing in some industry and 3 years down the line it causes
real trouble. Also I am sure there a lots of security products that were
released during the dot-com boom by companies with clever names
like "Security  Solutrions" and at least one manager somewhere thought
it was the latest and greatest. and bought it. and now someone is caught
with it and "Security Solutions" went bust in the dot-com bust.

I have looked at the RFID stuff amd all the plans worked for it, including a
whole set of PR campaigns to calm public privacy fears. What I wondered
is why there was so much effort being exerted to track say a can of coke or
a pen or something like that. Some of the software looks very complex and
it looks like no way is it plug and play and it looks like something
that will
go wrong way too easily. It is obvious at ther local drug chaiin that
the computer
is not given the correct price many weeks in a row. That seems pretty
simple to
do. If they can't get that right how are they going to get something
more complicated
right. I might trust librarians to try to get things right, but some of
the people
in the local stores its one more hassle for them.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve