From: toddtowles at brookshires.com (Todd Towles)
Subject: AV Naming Convention

I didn't take offend, don't worry.

Nowhere did I state that AV researchers were doing a crappy job and
everything needs to change. I stated a shift is needed. A shift toward more
sharing of information between AV companies is needed.

A naming convention would be a start, and a good one I think. Do we have to
have a council and all this stuff people are complaining about? No.

AV companies can get together and decided how they want to do it, it isn't
my job. My job is to protect my network. I am not a virus researcher or a
code analyst (note - I never said I was).

I can tell you that the way viruses are named right now is meaningless to
the public. Look at the newspaper; they just throw headlines with "MyDoom"
and "Beagle" in them. They can't keep up with what version is or and who
called this what.

We only keep up with it because it is part of our job. I look around
Starbucks sometime and think about how lost and open to attack people are
all the time.

Do you really believe that trying to improve the AV information process is
meaningless? Just because we can't see the answer at this very second
doesn't matter that one doesn't exist.