From: b.griffin at cqu.edu.au (Brad Griffin)
Subject: AV Naming Convention

 I am a relative newbie to computing, but I've been seeing this same
argument for the past 9 years. I reckon I'll see it continue for the
next nine, because I've seen the ideas people have put forward in this
forum before as well. I'm just glad Nick F hasn't got sick of explaining
why a standard naming convention is so hard to implement in the AV
industry.

cve may be great for security vulnerabilities, but would not work, or
would be too slow a process to apply to virus naming.

Using a generic no-name description in an identity file until a
committee named a virus variant would unsettle millions of end users
("you've got a virus, but I'm buggered if I know what it's called").

(MY couple cents of useless input).

IIRC, haven't a lot of the naming convention problems occurred because
the majority of vendors don't like to pander to vxer's egos by naming
viruses the way the creators' wanted?

Regards,