From: randomisedletters at hotmail.com (Random Letters)
Subject: (no subject) Why not?

Brad Griffin wrote:

I am yet to come across a 'large' company or enterprise that uses separate
brand av applications for desktop and server solutions. It makes economic
and logistic sense to use one vendor for your av solution that is deployed
at different levels (or layers if you prefer that terminology). About the
only people I've seen use different antivirus products in one environment
are home users or small businesses that misinterpret 'layers of defence' in
an anti-virus context to mean 'different brands of defence'. Considering
that many major av co's products are cross platform nowadays, I doubt many
companies will continue using separate brand products in a mixed OS
environment for much longer either.

Reply:

The last two companies I have worked for, one a Fortune 500 company, the
other a smallish science company, both use multiple products.

One uses Symantec on the Windows servers and McAfee on the Windows
workstations and Clam on the Linux servers and workstations.

The other uses Clam on its Linux servers and Panda on its Windows servers
and workstations.

Of course, that hasn't completely stopped virus outbreaks, just because
there's no way that new definitions can be rolled out quickly enough. As you
might expect, Windows laptops were the main culprits. But I have seen Linux
viruses and breakins as well as Windows hacks too. And please don't say that
the IT wasn't doing its job. As long as you have an internet presence you
are a target, and none of the products are 100% secure ... Cisco anyone?

So there you go. My two Euros worth.

Does anyone remember the AV scanner that came with MS-DOS6? Haha

    Does HoTMaiL come with a spell checker?