From: dave at technopagan.org (David E. Smith)
Subject: Re: IpSwitch IMail Server <= ver 8.1 User Password Decryption

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Adik wrote:

> IpSwitch IMail Server version up to 8.1 uses weak encryption algorithm to
> encrypt its user passwords. Have a look at attached proof of concept tool,
> which will decrypt user password from local machine instantly.

Heck, this isn't even news. It was posted to Bugtraq a while back. Like
1999. This URL details Imail's password scheme for Imail 5.0:

http://seclists.org/bugtraq/1999/Dec/0255.html

About a year ago, I found that article, and used it to "decrypt" a few
lost email passwords on my Imail 7.15 installation.

Given the fact that Imail tries to do just about everything (it does POP3,
SMTP, IMAP, LDAP, includes a Web server and makes crispy French fries),
this sort of thing is probably bound to stay around for a while.

One of the neat things about Imail (other than that it does practically
everything) is that it's backwards-compatible. If my Imail 8.1x
installation does something weird, I can roll it back to Imail 7.x with
maybe fifteen minutes' work. This level of backwards compatibility does
lead to weird problems and security issues (q.v. every version of DOS and
Windows for about fifteen years).

...dave