From: jan.m.clairmont at citigroup.com (Clairmont, Jan M)
Subject: RE: MS should re-write code    with security in mind

Glenn:
Not to take issue with the performance of encryption, but
what good is performance when it's all spent processing spam, malware, trojans, spyware and all the other cr*p that downloads.
Even things like spybot, zone alarm etc. do not  prevent any
of the junk that gets loaded thru mail and port 80, plus any other vulnerabilities that continually open up.

I would gladly take performance hits for reliability and the
end of endless spam, vuls, and spyware that constantly attach to  my clients as well as myself.

Anyone in the real world knows how impossible it is to totally
lock down a large commercial network.  To do business you need to open at least one window to the hellish nightmare of the internet.  Plus router, firewall, switch, modem, atm endless list of vulnerable systems... It is a never ending battle, and for the most part the white Hats are losing.  So what is the alternative?

Go to a totally secure network computing system like the military?

It seems we may have no choice.

Jan Clairmont
Firewall Administrator/Consultant