From: jcoombs at PivX.com (Jason Coombs PivX Solutions)
Subject: Re: Images being pulled in Outlook 2003 even though don't download pictures is set?

The recent LIBPNG vulnerability can be exploited by sending HTML e-mail containing an embedded malicious PNG image referenced locally using cid: as well, if the recipient of the e-mail is using a vulnerable mail client. See

Chris Evans' security advisory
http://scary.beasts.org/security/CESA-2004-001.txt

Therefore this issue is somewhat serious, and deserves more attention. Mail clients need to block automatic display of all images, not just those referenced by external URL inside an img tag. It is a lot of work to locate vulnerable binary code, notify vendors of vulnerable or flawed products and teach them this remedial basic security principle. I am looking for volunteers who are interested in helping out with this effort.

Does anyone have a list of closed-source products known to contain LIBPNG or code derived from it that is believed vulnerable?

Most Secure Regards,

Jason Coombs
Director of Forensic Services
PivX Solutions, Inc.