From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: !SPAM! Automated ssh scanning

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Stephen Agar wrote:

> I think many of you are missing the point. Yes the guest/guest account is
> weak, but this kernel is (according to debian) patched..therefore free from
> local exploits that can be used to gain superuser access. I mean if this
> were the case, then any box that ran this version of debian to do something
> like "web hosting" that gave users shell access, may as well give them all
> full sudo. Because you people are assuming that if someone can gain access
> to the box, secured or not, they can gain root..i disagree.

The issue here is why does debain include such a weak account,m thaqt has
not been tamed via a very restricted chroot env!?

> I feel totally confident that if you gain access to my FreeBSD 4.10 box with
> an unpriveleged account (not that you will, of course) then you will remain
> an "unpriveleged user" no local root exploit....no worries.

As Barry pointed to directly, it all depends upon what you make available
to your clients once in a shell.  It;s very likely your server would be as
exploitable as most 'default' installs with the kitchen sink dropped in.
Perhaps not, but likely, depending upon what you 'installed and allow
clients access to'.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

> --stephen

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.