From: dave at immunitysec.com (Dave Aitel)
Subject: New paper on Security and Obscurity

The paper itself is academic fluff. It's not your fault, it's just that
you've never written an exploit and have no technical background, so
you've got a keyhole view into a large issue. Example:

"This sort of defense would work reasonable well against a one-time
attack. In the physical world, an attacker would face a grave risk (11
out of 12) of falling into the pit and getting injured. Similarly, in
the computer world, a hacker who can get only one copy of the program,
and who needs that program to keep functioning, will find it too risky
to fool around with the program and likely have it freeze into
uselessness"

I'm not going to point out the specific flaw in that paragraph, but the
fact that you didn't see it is exemplifying a lack of understanding of
technology and the information security field. Argument by analogy
doesn't work at all when going between the physical world and
information theory.

It might be good to focus on what's really different, instead of trying
to make up analogies or meaningless equations. If your paper cut every
paragraph starting with "Consider an analogy from the physical world"
then it would be much better off. Your fundamental conclusion, that
"there is no logical or necessary difference between cybersecurity and
physical security" is simply wrong. There are many logical and necessary
difference based in information theory for why the two are completely
disparate. Do you know if you got hacked today? Do you know if I stole
your chair today?

When papers like this affect legal doctrine, they are extremely harmful.
You should consider not publishing it.

Dave Aitel
Immunity, Inc.