From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (Barry Fitzgerald)
Subject: [VirusTotal] Scan result (fwd)

Michel Messerschmidt wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 10:43:50AM +0530, Aditya Deshmukh wrote:
>

>>hey if the binary is infected and does not contain any hardcoded
>>sencitive info what do u care about the owners of the website ?
>>

>Unless for (a purely theretical) example the website would use your
>submission to infect others (perhaps with your address as sender) :-)
>Although the binary may not contain any sensitive data, it is dangerous
>in itself because it is self-replicating and thus hard to control once
>it is activated. If your are not very cautious when handling
>self-replicating code, you most likely end up sending it out to the
>world.
>
>So for the question how to handle possibly dangerous code
>it all comes down to "Who do you trust" ?

Or, potentially, use the fact that you're infected with something
against you.  Like, say, holding a red flag up saying that you're
backdoored.

I have no evidence to suggest that that's what's going on -- just
bringing it up as something someone can possibly gain from a submission
of this type.

             -Barry