From: MurtlandJ at Grangeinsurance.com (Murtland, Jerry)
Subject: RE: RES: Instant Messenger

Snake,

That's a very good step-by-step illustration of how to proxy through secure
remote to external systems.  I'm sure it would make other security staff
feel as uncomfortable as it does me, but I was aware of this.  However,
there might be something else that we can discuss that would be of good use
to me as well as others looking to work on ways to detect and block this
sort of activity.  Obviously, you can't sniff or detect secure protocol, and
I've heard of some that say they can, but they that's via SSL and the
certificates are pointed to from the IDS for filtering signatures.  Not
effective.

I'm looking for a way to be able to block this all together.  What
immediately comes to mind is to only allow specific IP's to SSh outbound
through your firewall and deny all else.  I guess my question is, "Are there
other methods to circumvent this block after creating this rule set?"

Thanks for the document, I put it to good use!  ;)

Jerry Murtland