From: francis.favorini at duke.edu (Francis Favorini)
Subject: RE: [Bugtraq] McAfee VirusScan Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
 [iDEFENSE]

bashis [mailto:mcw@....se] wrote...
> There is a trick to get SYSTEM shell in VirusScan Enterprise
> 7.1.0 and the 'brand' new version 8.0.0 also.
>
> Do a new task, for a example "Update" and choose a program to
> run after the task, do this task to run with a schedule,
> efter this task is done the chosen program is running with
> SYSTEM priviligies.

In my experience, non-admin users cannot add or edit tasks on VirusScan
Enterprise 7.1 (on Win XP).  In fact they cannot change any settings.  They
can only start an existing scan or update task.  Perhaps you have relaxed
permissions on HKLM\Software\Network Associates\TVD?  Ours are set to Read
for the Users group (inherited from HKLM\Software).  Or maybe your users are
running as Power Users?  Also, you can set a password on the user interface
to prevent changing the settings of your choice.

-Francis