From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: avoid jpeg overflow problems using on the fly conversion?

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:03:10 +1200, Nick FitzGerald said:

> And, your suggestion does not say what to do with "bad" JPEGs -- it
> seems you assume the JPG to PNG convertor will necessarily and
> "correctly" deal with such invalid input.  Do we really know that is a
> valid assumption?

There's also another sticky issue - it seems at least one release of AOL's
"net accelerator" basically consisted of code that downgraded all the .JPG
to a higher-compression (therefore more lossy) format.  Some questioned
what this meant for places like corbis.com, who make money selling *high*
quality images.  Applying type conversions like this is always fraught with
unintended consequences... :)

Bonus points for figuring out how to make the filtering work if the
front-end points at an https: :)