From: Glenn_Everhart at bankone.com (Glenn_Everhart@...kone.com)
Subject: Scandal: IT Security firm hires...

Think of this not so much as criminal vs. noncriminal but in warfare
terms. Security defenders have to design fortifications to keep out
attackers.

If I am trying to build field fortifications and my forces have captured
one of the enemy's designers of attacks, I might very reasonably want to
pick his brain to help me get better defensive designs.

That doesn't mean I will (or should) believe he has come over to my side
of the conflict, nor does it mean I would have him design any part of my
defenses, lest he build in weaknesses. Yet if I tell him of various defenses
and he tells me of attacks on them which I had not considered, I may find
value in his advice. What I have to validate for myself, even though I
distrust its source, still has some usefulness.

The thing is, if I am fighting a war I can probably find people to guard this
guy and make sure he doesn't see anything but what I show him, and keep him
from escaping back to rejoin or inform his old friends.

A company wanting to do this had better be more confident than most in its
ability to build internal barriers to information, and in its ability to
watch what of its sensitive information gets into the enemy or ex-enemy
hands, and what leaves them for where.

They should remember: if the captured enemy designer should retain his old
loyalty and report their secrets to other enemies, the value of that company's
secrets will be lost.

So how good is the internal security being practiced by the hiring firm?
Does this indicate, perhaps, some overconfidence?

Glenn Everhart