From: mlist at iwasdot.com (Mailing Lists)
Subject: MS04-028 Shell Exploit

Does anyone know the order of displaying images and saving them to cache?

I tested the cmd.exe jpg and it is detected by McAfee as Exploit MS04-028.
So does internet explorer write the image to cache first before it
displays it or does it display the image then write it to cache. I don't
have a machine with web server installed where I could test this at the
moment.

My concern is that internet explorer will open the file and execute the
exploit before the code hits the hard disk. We will know that a machine
has been expoited but that may be to late.

Thanks