From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: Windoze almost managed to 200x repeat 9/11

It says right in the article they were running Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
The systems were not impacted by the Win95 hang bug. Almost certainly
Windows was fine... period. The communication software puked based on the
same API function that the Windows 95 Dev guys screwed up with. The value
rolls over and either the application software detects that and shuts down
the application or the application crashes because of poor exception
handling.

If Windows crashed of its own accord, then yes, MS needs to share some
blame. If, what actually happened is a crappy app died and the OS was fine
the whole time, the responsibility rests with the application vendor and the
design/implementation team.

Should technicians be rebooting boxes as fixes. Absolutely not. However,
before assuming it is an OS issue, understand why they are rebooting it. In
this case I expect it was to reset the tick count for the application
itself. If it is because the app is eating all the memory up, that is one
hellacious memory leak they need to work on in the app.

  joe