From: mikehome at kcisp.net (Mike Barushok)
Subject: Rootkit For Spyware? Hide your adware from
 all Adware removers and Anti-viruses

Back in the day, 1994 to be exact, there was a virus that with the
commonly available tools was quite difficult to eliminate, and
which was usually detected by effects rather than the presence
on disk, or in main memory.

One of the effects it had was to "delete or stops the execution
of programs called SCAN, CLEAN, NETSCAN, CPAV, MSAV, TNTAV".
Actually many other executables other than those were interfered
with also. Another effect was a system with a modem would start
answering on the seventh ring. And it deleted files named
'CHKLIST.*' (defeating integrity checking, but noticeable).

Had it been truly polymorphic, less 'noisy', and
with several modern tricks, it could initially have been credibly
described as almost undetectible. Erasing the CMOS memory
could have seemed like a dead battery.

Checkout GOLDBUG, see:
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/goldbug.shtml
http://www.textfiles.com/virus/gold-bug.txt
http://vx.netlux.org/lib/static/vdat/retrovir.htm

For all intents and purposes anything you would expect the system
to do under certain circumstances, can be subverted such that the
expected result would be generated falsely. File scanning,
registry keys and values, process enumeration, could all be made
to appear to suceed in finding nothing out of the ordinary.
Windows regedit is well known to hide some of the key names
and their values. Disk areas other than the 'file system' can
hold data. Processes that are already always running (like
Kernel32 itself, could be the process that was modified to do
the dirty deeds. Generally, with any general purpose computer,
the ability to trust the results of any particular action
depend on fully knowing the complete state of the machine.
So, a machine in an unknown state cannot verify itself to be
in an 'expected' state.

Additionally, it is theoretically feasible to modify the
CPU's microcode to alter execution of already present software
as desired. This was mentioned as far back as twenty years ago
by someone who instead demonstrated a trojan that worked by
modifying the Unix login, when the login program was compiled,
and that detected a new version of the compiler being compiled
and replicated itself to the new compiler object code.
See: K. Thompson. Reflections of Trusting
     Trust, Communication of the ACM, Vol. 27, No. 8, Aug 1984,
     pp. 761-763. http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95

He stated "You can't trust code that you did not totally create
yourself. (Especially code from companies that employ people like
me). No amount of source-level verification or scrutiny will
protect you from using untrusted code. In demonstrating the
possibility of this kind of attack, I picked on the C compiler. I
could have picked on any program-handling program such as an
assembler, a loader, or even hardware microcode. As the level of
program gets lower, these bugs will be harder and harder to
detect. A well installed microcode bug will be almost impossible
to detect".

So, although I doubt that any company is really selling any
completely undetectible code, for the purposes being discussed
in this thread, there almost certainly is some very difficult to
detect software already being used for other purposes important
to certain three-letter-agencies.