From: keydet89 at yahoo.com (Harlan Carvey)
Subject: Hacking into private files, my credit card purchases, personal correspondence or anything that is mine is trespassing and criminal.

> The fact that something is illegal discourages
> no-one, the fact that
> they may get caught and punushed discourages most.

If you drive your Lambhorgini to a city, pull off the
side of the road, leave the keys in it and doors open,
and someone steals it...don't be surprised.

The difference between the real and virtual worlds is
perception.  Online, where are the witnesses the
police can talk to?  If you have a weak password on
your computer system, and someone guesses it, there
just isn't any information that can be used to track
the intruder, particularly after you reboot.

Most people lock their homes and cars.  Yet many
people don't do the same thing for their
computers...this applies to home, corporate, and gov't
users.  Home users will do their tax returns online,
and leave their computer wide open.  Parents will sell
their old home computer with pictures of their kids on
the hard drive...and the same computer is later
purchased by a pedophile (yes, it HAS happened!).
People will do online banking from Kinko's, after
someone who's seen this has installed keylogging
software (yes, this HAS happened!).

It's all about perception...a perception that needs to
change.  Only after that perception changes will we
see better, more secure software, etc.

=====

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for
you are crunchy, and good with ketchup."

"The simplicity of this game amuses me.
Bring me your finest meats and cheeses."