From: mlande at bellsouth.net (Mary Landesman)
Subject: Hacking into private files, my credit card purchases, personal correspondence or anything that is mine is trespassing and criminal.

Again, there's the problem with perception.

I don't interpret Jan's post as whining about the insecurity of the Internet
per se. To me, it appears he is simply noting, quite correctly IMO, that
there is an idiotic notion prevailing that somehow, because the Internet
*is* insecure, that it gives every thug with a keyboard the right to break
into other people's property.

And from what I've read, an awful lot of folks seem to be defending that
idiotic notion with comments like 'being on the Internet is voluntary' or
'people are inherently evil'. The former I see as being immaterial (and a
ludicrous statement to begin with). The latter I perceive as being cynical
and just a form of rationalization. I think the same about the comment that
it's all just a by-product of curiousity.

I am not a fan of regulating the Internet either. However, it will be the
thugs breaking in via their keyboards that bring about regulation, not those
who complain about it nor those who are victimized by it. So long as some
persist in trying to break it or break in, there will be a push to somehow
fix it. And that is where the laws will come into play.

-- Mary