From: jessevalentin at yahoo.com (Jesse Valentin)
Subject: Hacking into private files, my credit card purchases, personal correspondence or anything that is mine is trespassing and criminal.

Hey Barry,

Thanks for the info. (You're right it is odd.. :-)

The "sophisticated" legal system never ceases to amuse me. You made me laugh with your statement - "they're fraudulantly using something they know they should be paying for".

See in my eyes, this is stealing... plain and simple regardless of whether or not you're talking bits and bytes and regardless of how many Harvard Law Graduates disagree with me.

To illustrate my point check out this website: http://www.goerie.com/nie_civilrights/civil_rights_timeline__1619_-_.html

One law in particular is the following passed in 1735:

“South Carolina passes laws requiring slaves to wear clothing identifying them as slaves; newly freed slaves must leave the state within six months or risk re-enslavement.”

Now to us today living in the modern world, this law is recognized as being barbaric and foolish, and yet educated legislators of that time viewed this as a valid law and “civilized behavior”.

My point is that just because something isn’t recognized as incorrect by a “legal entity” this doesn’t necessarily indicate that the conclusion is sound…

Thanks again though Barry, I do appreciate you submitting that information and I totally understand where you're coming from.

Best Regards,

Jesse Valentin

Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec@....lonestar.org> wrote:Hey there Jesse,

>From a legal perspective (IANAL, but this was explained to me by a
copyright attorney) Vince is correct.

Stealing, or theft, both legally and philosophically is the act of
depriving the rightful owner of an item of use of that item. Your
argument below is using the loose association of terms found in common
language. The misuse of those terms wandered into common language
through poor attribution and through emotional manipulation.

Distributing copyrighted works is a tort violation and not theft. It's a
civil matter that is handled by laws centered around business and
scientific regulation, not a criminal matter (though that may change
soon, and that change would be catastrophic. Legislation like the INDUCE
act would have a chilling effect on the world of science and free
enterprise.).

The act of descrambling a cable signal is an act of fraud, not of theft.
The person using the service isn't "stealing" anything - they're
fraudulantly using something they know they should be paying for. Note
that the rules for this are different for services than they are for
products. That's why people who "steal cable" can go to jail. It's not
because they're actually stealing anything. It's just hard for people to
understand how fraud works and much easier for them to understand the
concept of "stealing".

It is illegal, but it's not actually theft. Odd that way.

-Barry