From: aschultz at echo-inc.com (Alex Schultz)
Subject: IRC spying to increase

You can hack the ircd to allow an invisible join that allows certain
people to be in a channel, yet not visible.  I first saw this back in
like 1997 or 98, so it's very possible.  It just requires a special IRCD
and alittle c/c++ skill. Basically they just created a mode you could
assign yourself if you were an Oper and the ircd wouldn't show you in a
channel.