From: fdisclosure at alicampbell.org.uk (Ali Campbell)
Subject: IRC spying to increase

 > What the .gov is thinking of doing now is meant for extremely large
networks
 > like EfNet.
 > I don't think Steve van singlehandedly monitor the whole of EfNet.

I agree that SG couldn't possibly monitor the whole of efnet, but he
*did* have some automatic analysis going on:

(from grc.com)

"They snagged passing URLs and quickly downloaded anything that was
referenced. I even got quite fancy and built a Markov-chain finite-state
statistical dialog modeller. It monitored the flow of IRC channel
nicknames and automated the process of determining who was talking to
whom, and who were the "bosses" who commanded the most power and respect."

Ali