From: j.riden at massey.ac.nz (James Riden)
Subject: Any update on SSH brute force attempts?

Jay Libove <libove@...ines.org> writes:

> What are you doing/changing about your SSH configurations to reduce the
> possibility of these attacks finding any kind of hole in the OpenSSH
> software (that's what I run, so that's the only version I'm particularly
> concerned about) ?  Are you doing anything at all?

One or more of the following, depending on local requirements:

* Run on a non-standard port - this will stop brain-dead scanning programs
* Use key-based auth instead of passwords
* Restrict what IP addresses are allowed to connect (at your firewall)
* Disable root logins
* Use john or crack to audit password strength
* Use logwatch or similar to monitor failed login attempts
* Make a honeypot and see what techniques people are trying out

(Everyone's forcing version 2 of the protocol, right?)

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden@...sey.ac.nz / Systems Security Engineer