From: shrdlu at deaddrop.org (Etaoin Shrdlu)
Subject: [SPAM] Your daily internet traffic report

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, RandallM wrote:
>

>>Router			location		index
>>router1.iust.ac.ir	Iran (Tehran)	29
>>
>>Which one of you are attacking Iran
>>http://www.internettrafficreport.com/asia.htm
>>

>I am a bit puzzled. Why o they think that some random routers and ICMP
>echo requests mak a good representation?

The routers are not random. They are routers from folk who've
*volunteered* to be a part of this. Jeeze, Loise, doesn't anyone do
homework anymore? While I suspect that Iran may be getting a DOS here
and there, I'd point out that there are other trouble spots across Asia,
and I'm sure that's due to the incredible amount of compromised machines
out that way, as much as anything.

>But the internet topology is much, much more complex. Doing ICMP echo
>requests to 1 router and telling everyone what a country statistic is so
>far besides the truth I will not call it a lie. (I hate to insult lies by
>implying them in this.)

Uh-huh. Complexity is not what's being offered here. It's still a useful
statistic, as long as you think of it as part of a picture (no one ever
declared it as the whole). There are all sorts of places to pick this
information up (including CAIDA, and CYMRU).

>I have been on some provider location through out the Netherlands yet
>there is only one (and a rather obscure one at that) router which should
>represent the Netherlands.

Then suggest to some of those locations that they ought to be a part of
this, so as to represent a more accurate picture.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle,
and quick to anger. Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,