From: krmaxwell at gmail.com (Kyle Maxwell)
Subject: Possibly a stupid question RPC over HTTP

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:21:10 +0100, Airey, John <john.airey@...b.org.uk> wrote:
> This gives you two options. One, use brute force to break the SSL encryption. Two (and it's entirely possible that the security services have this already) come up with a mathematical way to factor large primes rapidly.

I think you may mean something slightly differently; given any large
prime p, I can factor it completely extremely quickly:

p = 1 * p

There are no other factors; this *is* the prime factorization. :) Bill
Gates made the same mistake in his book _The Road Ahead_. Factoring
large primes is trivial; the prime factorization of large numbers is
hard, and I guess that's what you meant.

 And if the problem of factoring large numbers into primes was indeed
solved (this is probably what you meant), I think you'd very quickly
see a complete replacement of crypto systems in use today by the
governments with such security services.
--
Kyle Maxwell
[krmaxwell@...il.com]