From: John.Airey at rnib.org.uk (Airey, John)
Subject: Possibly a stupid question RPC over HTTP

What is it with this list that people can't reply without being rude? Is it the phase of the moon or something? OK, so we can rule out brute force, as storing every prime that's possible with 512bit keys isn't possible in this universe. Anyway, to quote RSA Laboratories:

"The RSA algorithm works as follows: take two large primes, p and q, and compute their product n = pq; n is called the modulus. Choose a number, e, less than n and relatively prime to (p-1)(q-1), which means e and (p-1)(q-1) have no common factors except 1. Find another number d such that (ed - 1) is divisible by (p-1)(q-1). The values e and d are called the public and private exponents, respectively. The public key is the pair (n, e); the private key is (n, d). The factors p and q may be destroyed or kept with the private key.

It is currently difficult to obtain the private key d from the public key (n, e). However if one could factor n into p and q, then one could obtain the private key d. Thus the security of the RSA system is based on the assumption that factoring is difficult" (http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2214)

Therefore my point still stands that if someone does possess a mathematical solution to the above, then all bets are off.
(Whoever it was who disagreed about my statements on encryption, please remember the context of the thread is about SSL security, not one-time keys).

Getting back to the original question, you can't discover if someone is sending RPC over https unless you have a solution to the RSA hard problem above. Nor is it a major security issue if someone is using RPC over https either, unless there are flaws in the implementation of SSL or RPC that could be exploited by someone else.

This is my last post on the matter which is solely for the purpose of making at least one post in this thread sensible and useful for future readers of the archive. All future abusive emails on my mathematical abilities will be deleted without response.

--
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the Blind,

Tag line temporarily removed due to several people being unable and/or unwilling to comprehend what I'm talking about.

--
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.

those of RNIB.