From: xploitable at gmail.com (n3td3v)
Subject: Re: OT: Akamai DNS and Yahoo

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 16:16:20 -0700, John Neiberger
<john.neiberger@...rstbank.com> wrote:
> >Yes, yahoo had an incident with its DNS in the past week(s) with its
> >dns configuration with regards of "akadns". Yahoo! security team were
> >alerted my myself as soon as abnormal behaviour was reported by the
> >scripts i have running on various yahoo and aka servers to get upto
> >date status.
> >
> >The problem first started from what I monitored from Yahoo! having
> the
> >address in the address bar as "yahoo.akadns.com" to Yahoo! serving a
> >blank HTML/PHP as the homepage, while still showing "Yahoo!" as the
> >HTML title of the homepage document. (proving my network was not at
> >fault from network disruption, yahoo and more focused akadns was to
> >blame for the spate of outages one day in the past week(s).)
>
> Thanks, this is really good information to have! Someone else suggested
> that I contact Akamai support so I sent them an email about it. It will
> be interesting to see if/how they respond.
>
> Has anyone from Yahoo replied to you about this with some useful
> information?
>
> John
> --

Yes and in all fairness this deserves to goto the list. I alerted
yahoo as soon as the differences occured. Yahoo! had not learnt about
the homepage outages which were happening on every 5 page refreshes
from my own investigations (manually after initially alerted by
scripts)

Yahoo! thanked me for the information and extended that by saying they
would carry out further investigations on the incident and check every
last possibility for the spate of outages which were not continuious,
but if you were online at the time, the homepage would disappear into
a blank page every so often (it wasn't a full outage).

Thanks,
n3td3v

http://www.geocities.com/n3td3v

I'm a security enthusiast