From: purdy at tecman.com (Curt Purdy)
Subject: [in] Re: IE is just as safe as FireFox

Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:46:51 GMT, Colin.Scott@...lc.com said:
> > Oh yeah, I've got 14,000 Windows 2000 machines to update to
> windows XP
> > SP2, hang on wheres that CD?
<snip>

> What's worse is having to run a university network where you
> have 30K boxes that you do *not* have the political mandate
> to upgrade (fortunately, we *can* get away with "Upgrade or
> you can't use our network to talk to anybody else", because
> although we don't own the machines, we own the copper. :)

Upgrade W2K to XP?  I call that a downgrade! I won't allow XP (sp2 or not)
on my network. All new boxes must be reformatted and W2K or SuSE Linux or
BSD installed (unless of course it is a Mac with OpenBSD kernel that is
always welcome).

As for a university network, I can only sympathize.  I listened to an
interview with a U of H admin last week, and thought, if I was a
script-kiddie the first thing I would do when I got home was scan their
network.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions